Thursday, March 29, 2012

Monumental Me


A recent class assignment asked us to compose "monumental" self-portraits, along the lines of Emperor Constantine's famous busts. To facilitate "big thinking," we had to execute the project on 3'x4' sheets of paper. No stranger to self-portraits, I wanted to capture something unique with this one---and so it became my own little (or big, rather) "Ode to Mornings." Or perhaps "A Coffee Cup Manifesto." Or "The Infinite Struggle of Waking." Either way, I think it captures my workday trek from the Bronx to Manhattan at the bright hours of way-too-early. For a better sense of the drawing's scale, refer to the photo below.


2 comments:

  1. i am so happy that my cup has been forever immortalized in your self portrait. one day when you are famous and your art pieces are in a museum, i will turn to my kids and tell them, "that, was daddy's cup."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, and I'll say to my kids, "Daddy knew that man. He was smaller then. He was a good guy.. a real asshole, but we loved him." Haha

    ReplyDelete